Monday, August 19, 2013

Quitting

Yesterday's assignment for our #StartExp was this:

Sometimes it’s hard to do the right things because we haven’t quit the wrong things yet. Today, I want you to make a “quit list.” What are 3-5 things you can quit doing today that will open up more time, energy or hope for your dream?

My first thought when I read this was things I could actually quit doing - things that take up time. But the reality is lately all my time has been spent working my day job, working on writing (blogs/ideas for article), reading, and a little bit of relaxation to keep me from going crazy. So, I thought, "What can I quit?"

I realized there are some major things I need to quit:
  • I need to QUIT DOUBTING.
  • I need to QUIT QUESTIONING.
  • I need to QUIT BELIEVING THE LIES.
Growing up I was never good enough. I could never do anything right. My dreams and hopes were never encouraged - rather they were squashed to the point that I quit dreaming and hoping. Now, today as a 44 year old woman, I am in counseling trying to heal the hurts of the past (insert Jesus Juke here - "Jesus can heal anything" - yes, I've heard that a million times and YES I know Jesus can heal anything, but having more faith and trusting more aren't always the answer - sometimes counseling and medication are necessary so NO Jesus Juking my work in counseling) *steps off soap box

I started a journey a week ago - I signed up to take a risk, to step outside of my comfort zone. During the first week God did some amazing things in my heart - reaffirming that my dreams and hopes were valid and that I was doing exactly what He wanted me to do. However over the weekend that punk satan began throwing punches - filling my heart with doubts, questions, lies.

So, today I am going to keep fighting that punk and I am going to not allow him to win. Because...

I’m good enough, I’m smart enough, and dog-gone it, people like me.
Al Franken, Stuart Smalley in Saturday Night Live, catchphrase

Love me some Mandisa, and she called me her "sister from another mother." :-)


Quitting the doubting,

Sherri

No comments:

Post a Comment