Saturday, August 10, 2013

Gratitude Journal

My friend Karen has been doing a series in her blog on "men appreciation" This post: found here hit me right between the eyes the other day. In the midst of her purpose for writing these posts she said:

"Writing this series was my strategy for turning the tide against all those relentless awful memories that would not stop appearing in my head.  How did I know to do this?  Simple:  mostly, years of writing the grat list (a daily list of things for which I am grateful.)  Also:  my experience with spiritual warfare, which surprisingly often tends to be less about all the woo woo out there stuff and more about:  remember that God is good.  Remember it by SAYING it, aloud, often, persistently.  Remember to recite the stories of His goodness.  Remember to focus on the wonder of His many wonderful traits."
This is what hit me. Back on October 22, 2011 I started keeping a "Gratitude Journal". I started by writing 5 things per day that I was grateful for. Then it got to some days of just writing one thing - but I was pretty consistent at it until July 8, 2012 which was my last entry. There is a direct correlation in how I have been doing since I stopped doing this. I'm not sure what stopped it - if I just got out of the habit and then forgot... but somewhere along the line my "Gratitude Journal" started collecting dust. After reading Karen's post the other day I got out my "Gratitude Journal" and decided I was going to start writing in it again. Yeah... that was 3 days ago and I have yet to start again. Today is the day. Today I am going to start again.

The Bible has so many verses about thankfulness...

Psalm 30:11-12: "You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; you have loosed my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness, that my glory may sing your praise and not be silent. Lord my God, I will give thanks to you forever!"
Psalm 95:2: "Let us come into his presence with thanksgiving; let us make a joyful noise to him with songs of praise!"
Psalm 106:1 "Praise the Lord! Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever!"
Colossians 2:7: "Rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving."
Colossians 3:15-17: "And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."

And one of my FAVORITE passages...



How many times do we... how many times do I wonder what God's will is? How many times do I think to myself, "Lord, if you would just TELL me Your will. If You would just send me a letter and tell me WHAT You want me to do. If You would just give me SOME direction..." It's right there... it's right in front of my face.... "Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."

Sometimes life just sucks... things happen that are not fair. Things happen that are hurtful. Injustices happen EVERY day. But what does God say about that? Give thanks in ALL circumstances... THIS is God's will.

I have not been in God's will lately - I have not been giving thanks.

Dusting off the Grat Journal,

Sherri

No comments:

Post a Comment