Monday, August 26, 2013

The Hater in My Mind

I got today's assignment first thing this morning from Jon for the #StartExp (I can't believe it's Day 15 already!) Here is the assignment:
Today is national “Ignore a hater day.”

Oh, you didn’t know? That’s because I just invented it. Today, I want you to ignore one hater you’ve bumped into in the last week. Don’t respond to their tweet or facebook comment. Don’t answer their angry email. Don’t jump in the mud with them. Ignore them and enjoy the peace of mind that comes with a little less negativity in your day. 

I thought, "This is easy - I haven't really had any haters hating on me." Then, when I got home from work I thought I would purchase my own domain name and set up my own blog. I chatted with someone from my #Start group on Facebook and they recommended a site and said they would walk me through it and said it was pretty easy. I logged on and took the plunge and was met with nothing but frustration. I even spent 30 minutes on the phone with tech support and then got disconnected. I got a refund and decided to just stick with Blogger for now. Then the voices started,
  • "You don't know what you are doing!"
  • "Who do you think you are to have your OWN website?"
  • "Does anyone REALLY want to hear what you say?"
  • "You're not good enough."
Then I realized what was happening and I realized my own voice was the hater and I began to ignore it. I am so good at listening to the lies that play on repeat in my own mind. I decided then and there to ignore those voices... to ignore the lies. That negativity has no place in my life anymore!

I know that what I have to say matters. I have had comments from people about things I have written and I know that my story can touch people's lives. God has made it clear to me that this is what He wants me to focus on and work hard on - whether it is all for my own healing process or also for others doesn't matter - I must follow where God is leading. I know that I am doing exactly what God wants me to do and THAT. IS. ALL. THAT. MATTERS.


Ignoring the hater voices and pressing on to all that God has called me to,

Sherri

1 comment:

  1. My first thought when I got this question in Round 1 was "Myself. I am my own hater." And then I went to work. I'm not all better and I still have my moments but at least I know where the worst of the criticism is coming from now: my own head.

    ReplyDelete