Sunday, August 25, 2013

What a Difference a Week Makes

Last week, I had to push myself to get out the door to church and while I was there I felt like I was in serious battle with satan. That punk was putting doubts in my mind and heart while I was singing. I sang through the tears, sometimes I just prayed through the music, I was fighting with everything in me and asking God for strength to just stand. I knew that punk satan wanted me to bolt out the door and there was a part of me that wanted to just run and go home and hide under the covers. But God got me through by His power and His strength. I was wiped out the rest of the day but I was obedient to do what I knew God wanted me to do.

Then - I had the BEST. WEEK. EVER. I don't know what happened - my attitude was different, my focus was better, I enjoyed myself every day at work. Even stupid things didn't bother me - I just let them slide and kept doing my job and had a great time doing it. Friday came and it wasn't the normal, "Oh - TGIF!" I was pretty indifferent about it being the weekend. Sure, I had things I wanted to do and sleeping in sounded wonderful, but I would have been OK going to work Saturday morning - my week was THAT GOOD.

Saturday I did just that - I slept in. It was wonderful. Then I went to Solid Rock Coffee House with my book that I planned on plowing through that day. God had other plans. I had a wonderful visit with a girl I have known since she was about 5 and she is now a senior in college. It was such a joy hanging out, talking about her future and just catching up. Then another friend came in and we ended up visiting for quite a while. I then had some "work" to do entering some things on a spreadsheet for our Wednesday night Grace Nights at church. I can't go right now or help with anything, but I offered to help with the registration - I can do spreadsheets... totally up my alley! :-) I did get some of my reading done, but had a great day - wasn't what I planned - but God showed up and planned my day better than I could have imagined.

This morning I got up, after less than 5 hours of sleep and I woke up before my alarm went off and I was wide awake and was SO EXCITED to get to church to worship our Lord. On the way to church I heard the song Overcomer by Mandisa and was jamming to it as I drove. I had just posted in the #StartExp how this was "my" song - God has shown up time and time again, keeping me from going under - He has held me and kept me from feeling completely hopeless.

We sang and it was awesome worshiping my Lord with my church family. I was in awe at what a difference a week made. Last week I was feeling so defeated and I was in the midst of battle and this morning I was free.... free to worship and love God and thank Him for all He has done! It was awesome.

We just started a series on Heaven and today's passage included these verses:


When we were reading the passage and got to these verses I wrote in the margin, "Overcomer - Mandisa" I was floored with how God was reminding me that through Jesus I ALREADY have the victory. That punk satan is going to keep throwing punches. There will be times he gets me down again. But through Christ I HAVE VICTORY.

Filled with awe, hope, and gratitude,

Sherri

3 comments:

  1. This is so amazing.

    I heard "Overcomer" on the radio last night on my way home from a long walk with my fiance. I saw Mandisa at the Women of Faith conference last year and heard her talk about her struggle with her weight and food addiction. But then I forgot about it.

    For the past few months, I have asked God to help me finally heal of my food addiction, to go into what fuels it and why I've abused my body for so many years. And I haven't felt very successful. Just beat up and defeated.

    But I read more of "Made to Crave" by Lysa Terkeurst (a great read!) and then went out for pizza with my fiance and a friend of mine. They each had their two slices (John had three) and after my one, I knew I needed to stop. I was done.

    And oh man, did satan come after me then. "C'mon, Amy. You can eat that one. It'll be okay. This is a special occasion." Blah blah blah. Same old song and dance.

    Even John and Christina were like, "You can do it."

    But I stood my ground. I said no, I'm full.

    AND I WALKED OUT OF MELLOW MUSHROOM HAVING EATEN ONLY ONE SLICE OF PIZZA. ONE.

    I felt victorious.

    And then John and I walked nearly eight miles.

    When I heard Mandisa talk about being an overcomer and the song (and the verse that is referenced in the song is one of my all-time favorites) and I was reminded of her struggles, I felt renewed. Someone else knows. Someone else struggles. Someone else has moments of weaknesses where they seek comfort in food instead of God.

    And this morning, I said, "Father, I want to be an overcomer."

    And I have had the strength (His strength through me) to pass over coffee with lots of sugar and cream, cookies, and diet soda. I have also been more confident at work and feel so much more accomplished.

    God is not done with me yet. And I know I still have a lot of hard and sad and rough to be healed, but He is with me. He loves me. His mercy covers all.

    And He will make me an overcomer.

    He's not done with us yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the awesome story Amy. I LOVE Mandisa. Her new album releases TOMORROW!! I met her at a concert a few months ago. She said I was her "sister from another mother" when I told her some similarities in her story and mine. If you've never read her book it is amazing. I just LOVE HER. Her music speaks so deeply to my heart.

    We already are overcomers in Christ.... He has overcome the enemy for us and we just have to claim our victory in Him!

    Funny you ended with "He's not done with us yet." Brandon Heath was in the concert with her and he sang "He's not finished with me yet."

    Keep doing the work... the healing road is hard, but it is so worth it... I am still in the midst of it myself but He will see us through!

    (((HUGS))) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so awesome that you met her! I will have to check out her book, I didn't even know she had one out.

      You're right, we are already overcomers. Sometimes it's hard to realize that.

      Delete