Monday, August 27, 2012

Knowing and Doing

Don't ever ask me what my favorite movie is because it's a question I just really can't answer. There are so many good movies, different genres, different things I like about different movies it is just impossible for me to name ONE favorite movie.

 
That being said, the Matrix movies are definitely SOME of my favorite movies. This quote from Morpheus is one of my favorite quotes.


This past Sunday at church our Pastor's wife made an announcement about our women's group Bible study that will be starting in a couple of weeks. We are going to be doing a Beth Moore study on the book of James. The book of James is ONE of my favorite books in the Bible. The basic theme of the book is that once God's grace has gotten a hold of your heart and you have accepted His gift of salvation by faith, your faith should be evident in your day to day living. This is not to be confused with a "works salvation" where people believe that if you DO enough good things you will be saved, rather that my faith and love for the Lord motivates me to do good things.

After church I was talking with some high school kids. I had on my race T-shirt from the 5K I did on Saturday and we were talking about that, which brought up my issues with plantar fasciitis that I have been having. I was telling them how one of my awesome friends had told me about a really good yoga stretch to do and that it really helps WHEN I do it. It's a really easy stretch, I know how to do it, but I have had a problem with having the discipline to do it.  I told them how just knowing how to do it didn't do any good, I needed to do it in order for it to help the issues with my feet. I then told them how that's a lot like our Christian faith, we can know all the right things to do, know all the answers, but if we aren't putting it into practice then what good is it really doing? One of the kids said, "Teachable moment." I really didn't plan it, it just happened through conversation. It was pretty cool, and I was thankful God brought it to mind and that I was able to share it with them. Even though it was a teachable moment for them, it was just as much a teachable moment for me.

  • How many times do I know the right thing to do but don't do it?
  • How often am I so busy thinking about myself that I don't see another person in need?
  • How many times do I have an opportunity to show God's love to someone and choose a bad attitude instead?
This afternoon I got home from the gym and started to get busy doing other things, and I remembered this conversation. So, I took 15 minutes and did the stretching and exercises that I know are important for my physical health. This is a good thing, and I know that if I want to keep running I will have to make sure to take care of my physical body. But, the real challenge in front of me is in the day to day.

  •  When I'm at work will I choose to show God's love by my actions and attitude?
  • When I see a neighbor in need will I choose to try to help meet their need?
  • When I am in the grocery store and in a hurry, will I choose to show patience and kindness to the other customers and the workers?
It is true, "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path." Or, as James puts it, "Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins."

Seeking to not just know the path, but to walk the path,

Sherri

1 comment:

  1. Love this. Isn't it great when God uses the simple things in our lives to teach us and others about His love and truth? :)

    ReplyDelete